Youngsun Kwon, Ph.D.
Dean, KAIST Academy
Director, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching
Professor, School of Business & Technology Management,
College of Business, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
291 Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 34141, Republic of Korea
- Ph.D., Economics, Syracuse University, August 2000
- M.P.A., Public Policy, Seoul National University, February 1989
- B.A., Public Administration, Yonsei University, February 1986
Fields of Interests
- Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)
- Spectrum Management Policy
- Network Economics and Regulation Policy
- Internet Regulation Policy
- Urban Economics
- JAVA and R Programming for Economists.
Recent Invited and Plenary Session Speeches
- “Do more AIs imply greater stability of economy and society?” Plenary Session Speech at the 15th ITS Aisa-Pacific Conference, Bangkok, Thailand(October 29, 2019).
- “Brief AI history and AI applications for business” Plenary Session Speech at the 2018 ITS Biennial Conference, Seoul, Korea(June 26, 2018).
- Keynote Speech at the ITU Regional Standardization Forum for Bridging the Standardization Gap, Seoul (October 24, 2017).
- National, Chengchi University (NCCU). (Dec. 2012).
“Telecom law and convergence: Korea.” Symposium on Telecom and Media in Japan, Korea and Taiwan: Policy and Industry Strategies. Taipei, Taiwan.
- TEDx-Unisinos. (Oct. 2011). “Smart education plan of Korea as a new paradigm of innovation in education.” Porto Alegre, Brazil.
Recent Major Professional Experience
- (Mar. 2019 – Current) Dean, KAIST Academy, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea
- (Mar. 2019 – Current) Director, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea
- (Feb.2018 – Current) Editorial Board Member of Telecommunications Policy.
- (Sep.2019 – Current) Local Board Member of the Scopus Expert Content Selection & Advisory Committee-Korea
- (Jan.2010 – Current) Director, The Korean Association for Information Society, Seoul, Korea.
- (Mar. 2015 – Mar. 2019) Chair, School of Business and Technology Management, College of Business, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea
- (Jun. 2015 – Jul. 2017) Head, Graduate School of Innovation & Technology Management, College of Business, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea
- (Apr. 2013 – Mar. 2017) Director, Spectrum and Future Research Center (SFRC) Department of Business & Technology Management, College of Business, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea
- (Mar. 2012 – Mar. 2015) Economic Advisor to the Bank of Korea, Daejeon-Chungnam Province, Daejeon, Korea
- (Jan. 2012 – May. 2015) Editor in Chief, the Korean Journal of the Information Society, The Korean Association for Information Society, Seoul, Korea
- (Jan. 2012 – Dec. 2014) Executive Director, The Korean Association for Telecommunications Policies (KATP), Seoul, Korea
- (Nov. 2009 – Nov. 2011) IT Service Subcommittee Chairperson, Presidential Council on Informatization Strategies, Seoul, Korea
Recent Research Papers
- Kwon, Y., & Kwon, J. (2017). An overview of Telecommunications Policy’s 40-year research history: Text and bibliographic analyses. Telecommunications Policy, 41(10), 878–890.
- Kwon, Y., Park, D.K., & Rhee, H. (2017). Spectrum fragmentation: Causes, measures and applications. Telecommunications Policy, 41(5-6), 447–459.
- Kwon, Y., & Jang, S. (2017). Building and sustaining national educational technology agencies: Lessons from Korea (KERIS). In M. Trucano & G. Dykes (Eds.), Building and Sustaining National Educational Technology Agencies: Lessons, Models and Case Studies from Around the World (pp. 33–47). Washington, DC: The World Bank.
- Kwon, Y., & Cho, S. (2015). Defining a cluster market: The case of the Korean Internet portal service market. Telecommunications Policy, 39, 921–932.
- Jung, W., & Kwon. Y. (2015). Differences between LTE and 3G service customers: Business and policy implications. Telematics and Informatics, 32(4), 667–680.
- Lee, J., & Kwon, Y. (2014). Exploring key factors of Application Software Services and their relationships for organizational success in SMEs. Journal of Small Business Management, 52(4), 753–770.
- Econometrics (Spring 2019)
- AI Applications for Business (Fall 2019)
- Data Analysis with Open Software (Spring 2020)
- Simulation program based on urban models (programmed with JAVA)
- 2013 Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing, Telecommunications Policy and Elsevier
- Best Paper Award at the 2005 Korea Management Information System (KMIS) International Conference, Jeju island, Korea.
- Listed in the 23rd, 24th, 25th editions of Marquis Who’s Who in the World (2006, 2007, 2008).
- KB Best Paper Award at the AsRes/AREUEA 2002 Joint International Conference, Seoul, Korea.
- (Aug. 1989 – Feb. 1990) Third Military Academy
- Commissioned as a second lieutenant after graduation.