Youngsun Kwon, Ph.D.
Endowed Chair Professor of ICT, School of Business & Technology Management, College of Business,
Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
291 Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 34141, Republic of Korea
[Current Professional Positions]
Professor, School of Business & Technology Management, College of Business, KAIST
Editorial Board Member, Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier
Local Board Member of the Scopus Expert Content Selection & Advisory Committee-Korea
Economic Advisor to the Bank of Korea, Daejeon-Chungnam Province, Daejeon, Korea
Ph.D., Urban Economics, Syracuse University, June 2000
– Dissertation: Income, spatial competition and welfare (Advisor: Prof. John Yinger)
M.P.A., Public Policy, Seoul National University, February 1989
B.A., Public Administration, Yonsei University, February 1986
[Fields of Research Interests]
Artificial Intelligence, Internet Regulation Policy, Spectrum Management Policy, Network Economics and Regulation Policy, Economic Policy Analysis, Urban Economics, R, Python, and JAVA Programming for Economists.)
[Recent Invited and Plenary Session Speeches]
– “Do more AIs imply greater stability of economy and society?” Plenary Session Presentation and Discussion at the 15th ITS Aisa-Pacific Conference, Bangkok, Thailand (October 29, 2019).
– Invited Speech at the 2019 Global Artificial Intelligence Technology Conference, China Association for Artificial Intelligence (CAAI), May 25~26, Nanjing, China.
– “Brief AI history and AI applications for business” Plenary Session Presentation and Discussion at the 2018 ITS Biennial Conference, Seoul, Korea (June 26, 2018).
– Keynote Speech at the ITU Regional Standardization Forum for Bridging the Standardization Gap, Seoul (October 24, 2017).
– National, Chengchi University (NCCU). (Dec. 2012). Telecom law and convergence: Korea. Symposium on Telecom and Media in Japan, Korea and Taiwan: Policy and Industry Strategies. Taipei, Taiwan.
– TEDx-Unisinos. (Oct. 2011). Smart education plan of Korea as a new paradigm of innovation in education. Porto Alegre, Brazi
[Recent Major Professional Responsibilities]
(Feb. 2018 – Current) Editorial Board Member, Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier
(Sep.2019 – Current) Local Board Member of the Scopus Expert Content Selection & Advisory Committee-Korea
(Mar. 2021 – Feb. 2022) Economic Advisor to the Bank of Korea, Daejeon-Chungnam Province, Daejeon, Korea
(Mar. 2019 – Feb. 2021) Dean, KAIST Academy, KAIST
(Mar. 2019 – Feb. 2021) Director, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, KAIST
(Jan. 2010 – Dec. 2019) Board Member, the Korean Association for Information Society, Seoul Korea
(Mar. 2015 – Mar. 2019) Chair, School of Business and Technology Management, College of Business, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea
(Jun. 2015–Jul. 2017) Head, Graduate School of Innovation & Technology Management, College of Business, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea
(Apr. 2013 – Mar. 2017) Director, Spectrum and Future Research Center (SFRC),
(Mar. 2012 – Mar. 2015) Economic Advisor to the Bank of Korea, Daejeon-Chungnam Province, Daejeon, Korea
[Recent Research Papers]
Teklemariam, M.H., & Kwon, Y. (2020). Differentiating mobile broadband policies across diffusion stages: A panel data analysis. Telecommunications Policy, 44(8), 102006.
Feijoo C., & Kwon, Y., et al. (2020). Harnessing artificial intelligence (AI) to increase wellbeing for all: The case for a new technology diplomacy. Telecommunications Policy, 44(6), 101988.
Feijoo, C., & Kwon, Y. (2020). AI impacts on economy and society: Latest developments, open issues and new policy measures. Telecommunications Policy, 44(6), 101987.
Feijoo, C., & Kwon, Y. edited a special issue on “Artificial intelligence, economy and society.” Telecommunications Policy, 44(6) in July, 2020.
Nam, K., Kim, H.J., & Kwon, Y. (2018). Do Real-time Interactions Increase Audience Satisfaction for Online Live Video Streaming Service? The Case of AfreecaTV in Korea. Information Society and Media, 19(2), 149–167.
Kwon, Y., & Kwon, J. (2017). An overview of Telecommunications Policy’s 40-year research history: Text and bibliographic analyses. Telecommunications Policy, 41(10), 878–890.
Kwon, Y., Park, D.K., & Rhee, H. (2017). Spectrum fragmentation: Causes, measures and applications. Telecommunications Policy, 41(5-6), 447–459.
– Best Paper Award, the 2019 Spring Conference of the Korea Society of Strategic Management, Seoul, Korea.
– 2013 Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing, Telecommunications Policy and Elsevier
– Best Paper Award, the 2005 Korea Management Information System (KMIS) International Conference, Jeju island, Korea.
– KB Best Paper Award, the AsRes/AREUEA 2002 Joint International Conference, Seoul, Korea.